New Gretna I.Q. Question Answers
1. What did Harry Kid have in common with the Great John Mathis? Last name of both is Mathis.
2. Who were the Gray brothers? Bill and Frank. They had an oyster and clam business.
Frank (1896-1986), left, and Bill Gray (1897-1954) as youngsters.
3. Which of the clammers was noted for his gigantic hands? Delbert Robbins
Del Robbins (1893-1967). Big hands and big boots!
4. Who on the list owned and operated a saw mill? Milton Kauflin
5. Who was "Keever"? Edward Allen. Father of Woodrow, Leslie and others.
Edward Keever Allen (1875-1965) cutting his birthday cake.
6. Who on the list captained an
's Cup winning Yacht that was, at times, anchored off Allen's Dock area? Can you name the yacht? Tom Mathis and the Yacht America . Columbia
7. Who was "Rue"? LaRue Mizelle. He captained Chet Allen's boat the "Evelyn".
8. Who captained the "Saphire Lady"? Otto and Fred Kalm. It was built by Otto.
Otto Kalm (1899-1989) built and captained the "Saphire Lady."
The "Saphire Lady" was also captained by Otto's son, Fred.
9. Who on the list was related to the famous VanSant ship building family? (Hint: He was a good ship builder, also, when you could get him to work. He was known to march to the beat of a different drummer.). Joe Cramer
Joe Cramer (1906-1976)
10. Who was nicknamed "Sach"? Hillary Robbins
A young "Sach" Robbins (1896-1952).
11. Helen Carty presently lives on Route 9 across from the Speedy Deli. Her uncle, who lived in that house before her, is on the list? Who is he? Washie Allen
Caleb Washington "Washie" Allen (1882-1960)
12. Who later operated the marina at
Cape Horn? Ferron Lamson
Ferron Lamson (1905-1977)
13. Who on the list was an oyster watchman?
Allen and Otto Kalm. Washie
14. Who lived on
New York Road, in Mathistown, just a stones throw from Munion Field Road? Ben Chew (1868-1947)
Ben Chews Rt 9 house is no longer there.
Who can name its last resident?
15. Who lived on
Allentown Road, across the street from the ? Jess New Gretna School Loveland
Jesse Loveland (1859-1952)
16. Who on the list was born in New Gretna, became a New Jersey State Senator, and was the New Jersey Secretary of State from 1931 to 1940? Tom Mathis
17. What was Charles Henry's last name? Allen
Don also held my feet to the fire by pointing out that I was mistaken with questions #6 and #16. The name on Chet's gas list is the same as my answer to those questions, but it is not the same person. It's a case where two men had the same name, a common occurrence in New Gretna families. I'll be posting the answers to the questions and an explanation of my mistaken identity in questions # 6 and # 16 in a few days.
According to Donald Maxwell, this is the New Gretna childhood home of Captain Tom. Identify the location of the home and its present owner and receive a bonus New Gretna I.Q. Test point. Hint: It's in Frogtown. (April 27, 2009 photo by Pete Stemmer.)