How to add a posting below . . .

To add a new posting, send an email to me at bassriverhistory@gmail.com with a comment, question, story, photo, observation, etc. It will be posted below, shortly after the email is received. To comment on an existing posting, click on the "comments" command below the posting and type your comment. Your comment will show up immediately.   Pete Stemmer

Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Eagle Has Landed !

I got the following photos from Bass River Mayor, Debbie Cope, of an American Eagle taken from Bass River Marina - Allen's Dock area on the Bass River in New Gretna. The Bass River Bridge can be seen in the background of some of the photos. Debbie received the photos from Cheri Ginsberg whom I assume recently took them. A big thank you to Cheri and Debbie!

Since I live only a mile down the Bass River from Allen's Dock, I am hoping to see the eagle in my back yard one of these days. I'll keep you posted as to my success in my very own eagle sighting.

Pete S












2 comments:

  1. What a thrill to see one in the "flesh". Not so many years ago they were considered pests and a bounty paid to kill them. I hope he has companions that show up soon. Seems like there was a PBS program about bald eagles not too long ago. They are quite entertaining. And as the photo shows, they are fish eagles. I hope no one local sees them as competition.
    Where I live, we have seen the swallow tailed kite show up in recent years. Apparently, they used to be quite common here. (Texas gulf coast)They like swampy areas and between two small towns near here there is a flood plain for the Trinity river that is just right for them.
    Happy eagle watching.
    Beverly Mathis Robinson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi thanks for posting the pictures of the eagle. They are so beautiful. I always wanted to go somewhere and watch and take pictures of them. So glad to see them on your blog.
    Sandy
    West Creek

    ReplyDelete