How to add a posting below . . .

To add a new posting, send an email to me at bassriverhistory@gmail.com with a comment, question, story, photo, observation, etc. It will be posted below, shortly after the email is received. To comment on an existing posting, click on the "comments" command below the posting and type your comment. Your comment will show up immediately.   Pete Stemmer

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Cecil Mathis Wedding Photos

I had planned to begin a series on Joshua and Rebecca Grant's children today but was sidetracked with a minor health problem that will involve minor surgery this Friday. With all the running around to various doctors and for a variety of medical tests, I just didn't have the time to put together anything worthwhile on Joshua and Rebecca's children and their families. I still plan to do so, but that may have to wait until sometime next week.

Meanwhile, I received two photos from George and Mary Mathis involving Cecil Mathis' wedding and thought that I would share them with you.

Pete S



Cecil Mathis and Joyce Leek on their wedding day. The reception was at the New Gretna Fire Company station. (Photo courtesy of George and Mary Mathis)

Picture of some people helping Cecil & Joyce celebrate their wedding day. Starting from the left is Cecil's father Leon Mathis. Slightly in back is David Cavileer. Lady in front center is Esther (Mathis) Miller, daughter of George W. Mathis and Jennie Hollman (Brown) Mathis. To the rear, the man over her left shoulder not sure. Facing him is George W. Mathis, son of Leon Mathis and Verda Mamie (Mott) Mathis. Front older gentleman is Harry Allen, father of Sara (Allen) Ware. To his left is Howard Ware, Sara Allen's husband. (Photo courtesy of George and Mary Mathis.)

12 comments:

  1. George Mathis in Texas: How are these people related to you? Thanks
    Beverly Mathis Robinson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esther (Mathis) Miller is my first cousin, my father and her father George W. Mathis were brothers. By the way just noticed I added and extra letter "l" to her Mother's middle name it should be "Holman" I am the George W. Mathis in this picture. I was born Nov. 14 1929, shortly after Esther father was killed in an construction accident. Sara Allen was my first cousin, her mother and my father were brother and sister. Rayetta (Mathis)Allen was 1st child of Joshua Mathis and Rebecca Ann (Grant) Mathis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pete and Beverly-
    I did not send the pictures from Cecil Mathis' wedding. As far as I know I am related as a distant cousin. I have no info about this side of the family but would love to talk to anyone who wants to give me a call. 713-823-0901.

    George Mathis- Spring, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pete & Beverly, I am George Mathis who sent the pictures of Cecil"s & Joyce wedding. I have no idea from my inputs how Texas got attached to my pictures. I live in Virginia. For the Mathis in Spring Texas, I know where it is, our son has lived in texas for about 30 years. My phone is 434-392-7220. Beverly how do you fit into the Mathis lineage? May be able to help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was my error in reporting that the photos of Cecil's wedding came from George Mathis in Texas. I got my Georges mixed up. Sorry about that. I made the correction in the Blog posting above.

    Pete S

    ReplyDelete
  6. George Mathis in Virginia: I am a direct decendent of Great John. My maternal grandfather was Eugene Phineas "Boot" Mathis. I am related one way or another to just about everybody in NG. :-) My gggrandmother was Louisa M. Allen, Allen, Wiseman. I am related to the Andrews, Adams of Port Republic, Leeks (or Leaks), Cramers (or Cranmers) Kirkbrides, Rodgers, Frenches. And a few others.
    Pete says that the Mathis clan has it figured out as to who is related to whom and that is what I would like to figure out too. Thanks
    Beverly Mathis Robinson

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beverly: From the infomation given about your Grandfather Eugene Phineas Mathis, did he pass away in 1970? Was your GRANDMOTHER'S NAME ESTELLA OR MABEL? I am pulling straws! I can check further, hope we can come up with an answer. George W. Mathis

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beverly: From the info. given, did your Grandfather pass away in 1970? Was your Grandmother's name Estella or Mabel? Right now that's all I can go by, if not I can check around. George W. Mathis in Virigina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi George: Yes, he died in 1970. My grandmother's name was Estella Harris Adams Mathis. Mabel was my grandfather's second wife after Estella died. Estella was from Port Republic and had seven sisters. Her father was Edward Page Adams and her mother was Hannah Hooper. My grandfather's father was John Oliphant Mathis and his mother's Ida Elvina Allen. She married Suwarrow French after John O. died.
    Beverly Mathis Robinson

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Beverly: Think we are reading from the same pages! I have not given up yet. Have you tried Atlantic County Records? George Mathis

    ReplyDelete
  11. GET WELL PETE WE MISS YOU, DAVE KALM

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am trying to get some info on George E. Mathis. I believe his first wife was Clara Shourds and his second was eugenia. His dob is approx1881 in NJ. Can anyone help me.

    ReplyDelete