How to add a posting below . . .

To add a new posting, send an email to me at bassriverhistory@gmail.com with a comment, question, story, photo, observation, etc. It will be posted below, shortly after the email is received. To comment on an existing posting, click on the "comments" command below the posting and type your comment. Your comment will show up immediately.   Pete Stemmer

Thursday, February 11, 2010

We're freezing our butts off here in New Gretna

Our Blog buddy, Clif Brown out in toasty, warm Arizona, sent this photo of an interesting snow sculpture. I guess he remembered that I was interested in outhouses, as I had posted photos on the Blog of those outhouses in New Gretna that I know about.

As we are now up to our @#%&%# in snow and ice here in New Gretna, I thought that Clif's photo may be appropriate for some comic relief. We sure could use some.

The photo was taken somewhere in Virginia and came with a little poem. I took the liberty of substituting "New Gretna" where "Virginia" appeared in the poem. Hope the author forgives me.

Pete S



It's winter in New Gretna
And the gentle breezes blow,
70 miles per hour at 25 below!

Oh, how I love New Gretna
When the snow's up to your butt;
You take a breath of winter air
And your nose is frozen shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful,
I guess I'll hang around.
I could never leave New Gretna
'Cause I'm frozen to the ground.


PS- Here's the real thing, just down the road from my house. Wonder if there is any mail? A Sears catalog might come in handy.

February 27, 2002 photo by Pete Stemmer.

2 comments:

  1. I like this- very funny. I know I have felt like that at times even here in Texas.

    George Mathis

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's going to take more than a Sears catalog....
    Yes, George, the weather has been quite atypical here in TX this year but you could say that of most of the country. It is just the rain, rain, rain. Someone told me a couple of days ago that his feet were beginning to rot. (That's a favorite saying in Oregon)
    Beverly Mathis Robinson

    ReplyDelete