How to add a posting below . . .

To add a new posting, send an email to me at bassriverhistory@gmail.com with a comment, question, story, photo, observation, etc. It will be posted below, shortly after the email is received. To comment on an existing posting, click on the "comments" command below the posting and type your comment. Your comment will show up immediately.   Pete Stemmer

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Hughie Bolton- Old Tuckerton Railroad Conductor

I know there are a lot of railroad buffs out there in the Blog-O-Sphere, particularly of the old Tuckerton Railroad. I came across a December 3, 1982 Tuckerton Beacon article featuring Hughie Bolton, an old Tuckerton Railroad conductor, who had just died at 93 years old. I found it interesting and thought I would share it with you. I particularly enjoyed Hughie's account of the first car in Mayetta. I'm also scratching my head and wondering what the world is coming to, today.

For those of you who know Bill Bolton from Otis Avenue in Tuckerton, there is no relation. Bill originally came to the Tuckerton area, from Georgia, in the 1950's to serve at the nearby Navy base at Warren Grove. He met Barbara Pancoast, fell in love, married, and decided to settle down in Tuckerton. Barbara is presently the curator at the local Tuckerton Historical Society Museum housed in the old Giffordtown School House. Stop in on a Wednesday and say hello to her!

Pete S



1 comment:

  1. I also find this "horseless carriages" deeply interesting, since I love engines and pretty much, any kind of machinery... Times always change and I guess their reaction in front of that railroad must have been the same we're having nowadays with science's new achievements.

    ReplyDelete