How to add a posting below . . .

To add a new posting, send an email to me at bassriverhistory@gmail.com with a comment, question, story, photo, observation, etc. It will be posted below, shortly after the email is received. To comment on an existing posting, click on the "comments" command below the posting and type your comment. Your comment will show up immediately.   Pete Stemmer

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Photo Identification Help Needed

I got the following photo from Paul Steinhauer yesterday. It's a great photo! Chet Allen, the founder of Allen's Dock in New Gretna, is in front on the left. Directly behind him is Ry Allen. The second lady from the front on the right is Ry's wife, Rita Allen. Can anyone out in the Blog-O-Sphere identify any of the other people and/or the location of the photo?


How about the guy in the fedora, wearing a jacket and tie and holding up the string of fish. Not my idea of comfortable fishing attire. Somehow, I doubt he is from New Gretna.

Hoping to hear from someone.

Pete S


4 comments:

  1. Pete,

    Great picture. I have no idea who the other people are. As to the location, the water appears rather choppy and by zooming in it looks like some small buildings in the background. Could it possibly be Tuckers Island in the background? Just a wild guess. I have a few pictures of Chet, but none at this early age.

    Jim McAnney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could this be a family outing? Chet was Ry's oldest son and he had two brothers(Ruy and Philip), both married. Maybe Chet's wife took the picture. Had to be before 1935.

    John Allen

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,

    Could be. It sounds very plausible. Unfortunately, I don't believe I have known photos of Philip. I do have a few of Ry, Jr. I'll try to check it out.

    Thanks for the leads.

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pete,

    btw my input comes from the "Short" Allens draft that you sent to me. Pages 14,15 & 23. Benny also commented that Chet and his wife had no children when we visited with him in May. Also interesting that Ruy (69) had all daughters, while Philip (70) appears to have moved away. I really enjoy digging through the Allen history.

    Keep up the great work.

    John Allen

    ReplyDelete