The Lambert gas station in the 1920's. The dirt road running past the station is where the present day Hammonton road runs to the right of the present fork. There was no fork to the left. Back in the 1920's that road was part of Old New York Road, the main highway that was to become Route 4 and finally Route 9. (Photo courtesy of Douglas Lambert.)
The iron draw bridge crossed the Mullica River just upstream of the present Parkway bridge. (Photo courtesy of the William Augustine Photo Collection at Rutgers University Library.)
The big touring car quickly sped away down the road toward the iron bridge and Atlantic City beyond.
Al Capone in his trademark fedora hat.