How to add a posting below . . .

To add a new posting, send an email to me at bassriverhistory@gmail.com with a comment, question, story, photo, observation, etc. It will be posted below, shortly after the email is received. To comment on an existing posting, click on the "comments" command below the posting and type your comment. Your comment will show up immediately.   Pete Stemmer

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Bass River News - July 3, 1919

Following is another installment of New Gretna News which will be published here on the Blog from time to time. The original scan from the Tuckerton Beacon is supplemented by photos and comments. Hopefully this approach will add interest and additional content to the original article.

The article begins with an announcement of the reconstruction of Job's Creek to eliminate a bad curve that was causing accidents. It shows that, even in the early days of the automobile, traffic safety was an issue.


A 1916 accident on the Job's Creek bridge was one
of many that caused the Freeholders to reconstruct the bridge.

The reconstruction of the Job's Creek Bridge, 1922
Notice the two girls in swimsuits at the project.

The news article continues with the July 4th celebration at the New Gretna Presbyterian Church. The churches were focal point of community activity in old time New Gretna. 


The Lodges referred to were fraternal organizations including the Knights of Pythias and the Sons and Daughters of Liberty.

Knights of Pythias Ribbon
belonging to Elvin McAnney

Elvin McAnney


Knights of Pythias stationary letterhead

The next entry reminds us of the sacrifice of our local residents in the fighting of World War I and the appreciation shown by the community.


Howard M. Allen (l) with his parents, Capt. Edward Allen and Margaret .

Howard Allen in the front yard of his
 parents North Maple Avenue home.

Unfortunately, Howard returned from the war two years later, a casualty of a gas attack in the trench warfare in Europe, as noted in the following June 16, 1921 Tuckerton Beacon article


The July 3, 1919 news article ends with the following.


Walter Atkinson ran a bus service out of Tuckerton which served the area for many years. It started with a horse drawn coach and evolved to a motorized bus service after the advent of the automobile.

Walter Atkinson by his horse drawn bus
at the old Mullica River bridge in 1903.


Well, I hope you enjoyed our July 3, 1919 news clipping from the Tuckerton Beacon. I know some of you out in the Blog-O-Sphere are related to people mentioned in the article. If so, let's hear from you!

Pete S

PS- POP QUIZ. How did Job's Creek get it's name?

13 comments:

  1. Pete,

    Great blog. What is the source of the Captain Edward Allen picture, I didn't know any existed. His wife was Marguerite, daughter of Godfrey Jerue. Howard's regiment was involved in the Argonne forest battle, which is featured in the movie "Lost Battalion". I think Howard was over 30 when he served in WWI. He shows up in various census' living with his parents and is buried in their plot in Miller cemetery. I wonder if Don Maxwell has any memories of Howard, his mother's uncle. I remember my dad mentioning a relative who was gased in WWI, but didn't know enough to ask about it.

    Thanks.

    John Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,

    The photo of Captain Edward Allen came from a photo album loaned to me by Winnie Allen from Allen's Clam Bar.

    Pete S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see so many parts of my family tree at one event.
      Edward Allen, Sr.-Great,Great Grandfather
      Edward Allen, Jr.(Keever)-Great Grandfather
      Leslie Allen-Grandfather

      I can identify 4 of Howard's sisters: Ella Measley, Annie Gaskill, Emma Gale and Phoebe Haines.

      Lafayette Gerew is his mother's 1st cousin.

      Does anyone know the relationship of Mrs. Ernest Adams?

      Again, I love the Blog.

      Thanks for all your efforts.

      John Allen

      Delete
    2. John

      Was it your article in Issue #12 of the Bass River Gazette, "My New Gretna Ancestors and the French Connection"? In that article it lists the children of David Russel Adams and Sophia Gerew. Among them Ernest Adams (1879-1950).
      Mrs Ernest Adams would be the wife of Howard's first cousin Ernest.

      Mrs. Ernest Adams may be Mary Jane Maxwell (D/0 George and Rebecca (Adams) Maxwell). They had a daughter Elsie born in 1910.

      Pieced together from various sources, most notable the above cited article, "the Hezekiah Adams Family" by Helen Leek Mack, and the 1880 Bass Rver Census.

      Best regards,

      Bill Lovitt

      Delete
    3. Bill

      Thank you for finding the answer to my question. Yes, that was my article. I guess I've forgotten a few of the details that I discovered years ago. Thanks also for the Adams Family reference.

      John Allen

      Delete
  3. Walter Atkinson was my great grandfather. My mother is Jean (Atkinson) Gray. I did not know the Atkinson side of the family. Mom's father, Carl Atkinson, and her mother, Margaret Mathis, were married a short time. Mom, the youngest of three children, was reared by her maternal grandparents Joseph K. and Elizabeth Mathis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pete-

    When I was young, a Howard Allen lived in a little house next to Marshall's hardware on Green Street in Tuckerton, about where the Green Street entrance to WaWa is today. He lived alone with his dog and worked the bay and trapped. I used to see him walking in front of our house (Clay Street )on his way to the meadows behind the school. I'm sure this is the same Howard Allen you write about in your blog.

    Arnold Cramer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pete,

    There was a Walter Atkinson's garage in Tuckerton (now the thrift shop. It sold WILLY'S, I think, but went bust during the depression. His wife had a soda fountain/candy store across the street in the homestead next to the old bank, currently a liquor store, in the 40's (it is now a parking lot). I used to go there to buy ice cream cones and candy when I was little. The place became known as Aunt Jenny's, when I was in high school.

    Mrs. Atkinson, known to us kids as "Acky" sort of had an attitude. Her first words out when you went into the store was always a gruff "Whata you want?"

    The Atkinsons are buried in Greenwood Cemetery near my family grave site. I believe Mrs. Atkinson's name was Roxanne. I think this is the same Walter Atkinson who had the bus service you wrote about.

    Also,as I remember, Howard Allen in Tuckerton was a WWI veteran.

    Arnold Cramer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy (Gray) DickeyJuly 14, 2012 at 11:49 AM

      Though I never knew them, Walter and Roxanne Atkinson were my great grandparents. My mother Jean (Atkinson) Gray worked at the soda fountain in the late 40s during her high school years.

      Delete
  6. Pete,

    What a treat to read about Howard’s family dinner and to see the faces of my great-great-grandparents, Edward and Margaret (Marguerite Gerew) Allen for the first time! My grandfather James Austin Gale, Hilliard and Emma’s son, also served in France during WWI, but he was in the navy.

    Many thanks for maintaining this blog.

    Nancy Gale

    P.s. to John Allen – Your Bass River Gazette article, "My New Gretna Ancestors and the French Connection," is still much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete