How to add a posting below . . .

To add a new posting, send an email to me at bassriverhistory@gmail.com with a comment, question, story, photo, observation, etc. It will be posted below, shortly after the email is received. To comment on an existing posting, click on the "comments" command below the posting and type your comment. Your comment will show up immediately.   Pete Stemmer

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Happy Birthday Joan Claire Cramer- 1930s Style!

I've been mentioning Frank and Rejessa Cramer, who owned and managed Cramer's Grille on the corner of Route 4 and Allentown Road in New Gretna from the early 1930s through 1940, in various recent blog entries. During this time I had been exchanging emails with Joan Claire Cramer Kapler, Frank and Rejessa's daughter, thanks to getting her email address from our Blog reading buddy, Clif Brown, out in sunny California.

I am in the process of clipping out, along with my genealogy cohort, Shirley Whealton, the New Gretna News from the pile of old Tuckerton Beacons Shirley and I have collected over the years. Yesterday, while clipping from 1937 and 1938 Beacons, I came across the following items involving Joan Claire's 6th and 7th birthday parties and thought I would share them with you. The parties sure sound festive, and the articles mention many familiar New Gretna names.



I notice that Don Maxwell's mother, Mrs. Curtis Maxwell, and his brother, Jackie, were at the 1937 party. Surprisingly, Donald wasn't at either party.


Jackie Maxwell attended both of Joan Cramer's birthday parties.
Photo courtesy of Donald Maxwell.


I was also surprised to see Georgine Mathis (now Bartlett) and Joey Shropshire's names, as I see them from time to time. Georgine lives on North Maple Avenue in New Gretna with her husband, Walt Bartlett, and Joe lives in North Jersey.

Georgine Mathis with her brother, Elvin.
Photo courtesy of Murray & Jean Shropshire Harris.

I wonder if Joan, Georgine, and/or Joe remember the parties. If so, it would be interesting hearing from them.

Also, if anyone out in the Blog-O-Sphere recognizes a name mentioned as a party guest, it would be neat to hear from you, too, along with your relationship with and memories of that person or persons.

Pete S

No comments:

Post a Comment