How to add a posting below . . .

To add a new posting, send an email to me at bassriverhistory@gmail.com with a comment, question, story, photo, observation, etc. It will be posted below, shortly after the email is received. To comment on an existing posting, click on the "comments" command below the posting and type your comment. Your comment will show up immediately.   Pete Stemmer

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Yikes! More on the Rustic Inn

I found the following 1941 Tuckerton Beacon newspaper clipping while going through my files the other night. When clipping it out some time ago, I had realized that it was a Christmas ad from the Rustic Inn, but I hadn't paid attention to the proprietor's name on the clipping, George Yike. In fact, I hadn't even realized that there was a George Yike. In speaking to the old timers in town about the Rustic Inn, they all mentioned that Jane Yike had owned the restaurant, but none mentioned her husband, George. Strange! I'm thinking that, perhaps, the Yikes were new to town when they bought the "Brick Restaurant" (I believe they came from Philadelphia.), and that George either spent much of his time in Philadelphia or died shortly after they had purchased the business. If so, it is not surprizing that no one recalled his name in connection with the Rustic. It's also interesting that the establishment was still called Cramer's Grille from the previous owner, Frank Cramer. It would be great if I could pin down which owner changed the name to the "Rustic Inn". Was it Jane Yike as some have told me or Chris and Bertha Ostergod (See the December 8th posting) as others have mentioned ?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone out there who could shed some light on the situation.

Pete S.

No comments:

Post a Comment